Wednesday, October 30, 2013

F550 is flight worthy

The F550 is flight worthy but not everything went according to plan. My first power up resulted in one of the prop screws flying off. Even though I had tightened them it wasn't enough. Unfortunately I am on my very last replacement. If I lose any more I will not be flying for a while. 

I did have a few successful test flights using small 3S 2200 ma batteries. The second I put the larger 5000 ma battery on things got a little unstable. The Futaba transmitter does not have a self centering throttle like my Phantom does.  It takes about a second or two for my command to be carried out. The Phantom reacts almost instantly so minor delays can magnify into bigger issues. I did have a minor crash and snapped a prop. Tri-Blade props are very cheap and I have about 30 of them so it was not a big deal. 

I need to tune the gains so that the F550 is not so wobbly in the air, install the IOSD, transmitter, gimbal and then finally navigation lights. This is at least 24 hours of work. It is going to have to happen sometime in December. The baby will be here within the next week and I have a ton of school work to catch up on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment