Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DJI Phantom Crash post mortem

I took the Phantom apart today to figure out what exactly happened. I have ruled out the 4.02 Naza update as the cause. I noticed some sand on the inside and wiped it out with a q-tip and a can of air.


There was some minor damage to the frame. One of the mounts is cracked. A little Super Glue should fix it up. 


 I took off the protective cover that was over the GPS and checked the connections. This was the first time I had seen this particular piece of the Phantom. Note the tiny battery connected to the GPS. I am assuming that this battery records the last position of the GPS making future satellite acquisition faster. 


The back of the GPS is the top of the Phantom. The GPS has a ceramic antenna. Some crashes have been caused by cracked antennas. There did not seem to be anything wrong with mine. 


I ran a motor test and everything looked fine. I started to put the top of the Phantom back on and one of the screws near the motor arm would not seat properly. The DJI Phantom is a precision machine. Even though there was some damage to the frame the top should seat properly and all of the screws should go back into place. When I checked for blockage I found one of the motor cables had a short. I am pretty sure this is the cause of the crash. This wire must have been pinched the last time I put the Phantom together. 


I repaired the cable by cutting the short and then re-soldering. I then ran some motor tests. Everything seems to be working but I need to do a flight test. To prevent this from occurring again I taped down the wires and insulated the ESCs. I made sure not to use too much tape so that it would not cut off air flow from the outside thus preventing cooling. 


My next step will be to replace the crushed landing skid and a flight test.







No comments:

Post a Comment